Thursday, August 4, 2011

Wednesday, August 3rd --- They're Here!! Welcome Maxwell & Gracie

Hi, everyone!! Sooo.. of course this is written on Thursday morning... but for all you smarty's out there that knew something 'mightve happened' yesterday because there was no blog post..you were right!!  I'll give you my short version (which of course when people say short.. you know it's always longer ..) of my the birth of my twins!!  What a crazy ride that was.. and only having been to one birthing class..wow! is all I can say!!

Soo, Tuesday night I went to sleep late (cuz i was watching Keep up with the Kardashians...lol).. Gary had gone back home Monday, to go to work Tuesday & Wednesday; then he was going to come back Thursday morning.  That changed! lol
So, i probably fell asleep at 11:30, and early Wednesday am, about 1:00 a.m. to be exact, I started having these pains in my lower back & my lower belly.  (For my closest friends, you know my history with my G.I. issues).. Soo, of course being pregnant & experiencing constipation on a regular basis, I was sure that it was a 'poop' issue.  I tossed & turned for several hours, put my cell phone on/off & debated whether to text Gary.  By 3:00 a.m., it was pretty tough! I called my nurse in & asked if I could have a Miralax or something, because I felt like i had to poop, it was just hard.  She asked of my symptoms & I told her.  She nodded her head & said, 'nah, i think you're in labor'. (this was my 1st pregnancy, how was I to know what to expect with labor pains..and hey, i only had 1 birthing class-lol).. So i was on the phone with Gary thru texts & my main concern to the nurses was, 'my husband had a 3.5 hour drive; should I ask him to leave.'  They weren't sure.  (in hindsight, i shouldve asked him to leave at that time..anyway!)

So, ob comes in to check me & says she doesnt see anything happening with my cervix.  The monitors are showing contractions, but let's just rest & get on some pain meds & come back in a few hours, she leaves.  Within 5 min she comes back & says she'll & I'll rest easy if she checks me the finger way.  Ok! She checks me & I'm one centimeter.  So the orig plan is to rest & check back if anything changes.  She leaves; nurse leaves to get pain meds.  While she is gone, I throw up. (great add to the mix).  She runs back in & I ask her why I threw up & she says, "you're going into active labor, you're digestive system is closing down".. She calls back the OB, they decide to send me up to Labor & Delivery.  Mind you, at this point my belly and back are still killing me, because this IV of drugs is not working for me at all.  I call Gary & tell him to leave right now, and call my sister.  They both leave around 5:00 a.m.

I get to L&D, all the doctors, anethesologists & such come in and chat (who's really listening, when I'm moaning & saying the meds aren't working).  Within the hour, they check me again & I am 4 centimeters.. WOW! Already!!  They wheel me into OR (it's a planned C-section because baby b was not head down; baby a was). 

Well.. this is the next phase of WOW -- I'm in OR and they are working on getting me an epidural..well they are having a hard time getting in that epi, while I'm whispering in the nurses ear that is supporting me, "this dude better hurry up, i feel like i'm going to poop'.. They kept explaining, I'm not going to poop, I may deliver a baby though.  My sense of humor was still popping up although I was having these severe contractions.  (Back when I was in my room at 3:00 a.m., the contractions were coming 3.5 minutes apart).  Soo, at the time where I was ready to 'poop' sitting up, the new shouting plan was "She's going to deliver baby a vaginally & then you'll put her under for baby b, let's go".  They throw me back on the bed, hold up my needs & tell me to push. (I refer my mind back to TLC's a baby story), chin to chest & push like a poop. (lol i like that word).  2 pushes later, and I hear, "baby's out"; I see a flash go away, and the gas mask is on my face as I squirm & I sleep.

Grace Lucia was born at 7:14a.m. & Maxwell Hathaway was born at 7:23a.m.

I wake up in recovery, and Gary & my sister, Theresa were waiting!

More to follow.... :)
love, pattie & gary, maxwell & gracie!!

1 comment:

  1. Maxwell and Grace will have quite a story to tell of their arrival. Blessings to your family, Pattie.

    ReplyDelete