Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Always educating someone. 9:14pm

Hi, everyone! I'm a little aggravated with the pedi's office..
I'll try not to bore you with all the details..but..I don't mind educating anyone who wants to know about Gracie's g-tube feedings, but I would hope that the people who work in the pediatrician's office know a little bit about it.. or maybe if they don't, they would ask questions.  Like I always say, if you don't like your job, get a new one!! :)

Grace & I left the house at 11:00a.m. for a pedi appointment at 11:20, the plan to pick up daddy afterward & then a GI appointment at 1..
(never goes according to plan, does it?)

Grace is 11 lbs. 5oz. today!! 22" long!!
So, she's doing great with this extra feeding.. gaining daily!!

In the pedi's office, and with most doctors.. Grace is a 6 months old actual,
but her adjusted (what she would've been had she been born on ther due date)
is 3 months old.  Just FYI!

Soo... the 'medical assistant' who put us in a room was asking me a lot of 6 mo questions.. "have you tried solids yet?".. uuhh..NO, she's on gtube feeds.
(the 1st time I say it)
Okay..blah blah blah..pedi comes in..and all is well..she's going to get her immunizations today plus a flu shot.

10-15 minutes later..(yup that long), in comes back the medical assistant from earlier..
she seemed to be like in a rush.. (maybe lunch time, it's about 12:20pm)
She throws down the tray with the shots, and before I can say 'boo'..she
is pouring liquid down Gracie's throat.  I'm like, 'what is that?'.. "uhh.. we
don't give her anything by mouth.. uhh.. I don't know what she's going to do with that"
Chickita says, "oh she likes it" (because Grace was bright eyed & licking her lips)
Well..sure she might've liked it on her tongue, but the minute it got to the back of her throat.. she started gagging & choking..turning very bright red colors.
I picked her up & started banging her back.. asked the chickita to get me a bulb syringe, so I can take some out..
"Hmm.. not sure we have a bulb syringe'"
"Well, I need to do something here"
In runs in the other doctor..who is apologizing like crazy.
I said, "I mentioned the gtube to that woman a # of times, I don't think she
knows what it means"..
Doc says, "no i dont think so..sorry.." she checks out Gracie..
and she's fine.. so our regular pedi comes in..and apologizes..says he should've
wrote on the orders that it was gtube feeds..

Then chickita asks if we got the 'sweeties' (sugar water for comfort) last time we got shots..I say, we didnt get them here..the 1st set we were still in the hospital..
and the 4 month, the other pedi didn't give her any of that..


Anyway.. finally at about 1:00 we left.. & 4 shots later, like most babies,
Gracie was very upset.. It made me almost ready to cry myself!!
She had big, wet tears running down her face!! Poor baby!!



We picked up Daddy & made it to GI doctor by 1:30 (just in time)..
he switched out her g-tube to a tighter fit..hoping this one doesn't leak as much!!




Gracie's tired..and so am I.. going to bed soon!!
Thanks for reading! (and with no pictures!)






Gracie got her 1st Birthday Invite today.. Sooo Cool & Cute!!





Love you guys,
pattie & gary, Gracie & Max

No comments:

Post a Comment