Sunday, July 24, 2011

Water breaking @ 25w4days

I was just relaxing, reading a book on my Coleman queen size air mattress in our tent on Thursday, July 21.  My DH (dear husband) was chatting away with a fellow camper.  I had been experiencing some 'period like cramps' for a couple of days but chocked it up as 'camping poopies'. (On vacation camping, I wasn't very er.. 'regular'.)

Around noon, I finally had a BM (bet you're all glad to hear that)..however, with that came a gush & lots of leakage.  I called over to my DH and cried, "something is wrong".  We packed it up very quickly; and he drove to the nearest Emergency Room.  Once there, it was very hectic.. the important thing was to find the babies heartbeats; because it is twins, it was very hard to find.  I tried to stay calm, but was certainly crying, as I realized that this was 'too early' to have my water break.

The nurses & doctors were very nice in the ER (ironically, we remembered the ER doctor from a vist back in Nov. 2010, when I was very dehydrated).  After making 'nice nice', it was down to business, the OB was called in, there were nurses called in, and ultra sound techs with high tech machines called in.  At one point in the room, there were probably 8-10 people; and it was very warm.  (The AC had let go a few hours before we got there).  My DH was great, holding my hand & assuring me things would be okay.  I felt a calm that they would be, but sure a part of me just wasn't sure.

After about 10 minutes of looking at ultra sound for Baby "A", and watching an OB Doctor, an OB Manager, and two ultra sound techs nod their head 'no'; I was sure that Baby "A" wasn't still in my belly.  I was heartbroken.

They went back to looking for baby "B" and reassured us that he was okay & things were in tact.  My DH asked them to look again for baby "A", and they did.  I was praying for a miracle.  I realized I hadn't stopped praying since I got in the car headed for the ER.  Well, prayers do work.. the team was able to see little Baby A's heartbeat on ultrasound.  She was fine.  Thank God!

From that point on, there was just a lot of conversation around where we would be transferred.  Even though we were 2 hours away from a hospital in Boston (which would've been closer to our home in Fairhaven); we were only an hour away from a very good hospital in Maine.  After consultation with our own OB from Fairhaven and the ER OB, it was decided they would transport me by ambulance to the hospital in Maine.  Everyone just wanted Mom & babies to be stable.

No comments:

Post a Comment